BPDFamily.com reports that Borderline Personality Disorder is three times more prevalent than previously thought and is possibly the most common of the personality disorders.
A recent study by the National Institute of Health projects that BPD affects more individuals and their families than previously believed. See member discussion here:
A sample of findings:
- the prevalence of the disorder is 5.9%;
- that prevalence in men is the same as women;
- BPD was more prevalent among Native American men, younger and separated/divorced
/widowed adults, and lower income and education;
- BPD was less prevalent among Hispanic men and women, and Asian women;
- BPD prevalence was greatest among people with bipolar disorder (50%), panic disorder, or drug dependence. Smokers were also more likely to have BPD'
- 24% had comorbidity with another personality disorder. The rates of NPD/BPD and ASPD/BPD were higher among women;
- lower incidence was seen in adults over 44 years of age.
Are you in love with someone with borderline personality disorder? Do you think your mother, child, friend, neighbor or coworker has BPD? Can we help you to untangle the mysteries, dissolve the chaos and reclaim your life? Please leave a comment if any of this sounds like a situation that you are or have been in you may want to visit the BPDfamily support group.
Authors: DreamGirl, Skip
BPDFamily.com provides support, education, tools, and perspective to individuals with a loved one affected by Borderline Personality Disorder. BPFamily is a non-profit, co-op of over 55,000 volunteer members and alumni formed in 1998. We welcome you to join our free 24 hour on-line support community and grow with us as we learn to live better lives in the shadow of this disorder. For more information or to register, please click here. www.bpdfamily.com